The truth is that some of these features of the Windows operating system we are talking about are better known than others. It will all depend on the use, utility or whether they are simply more or less visible, as we will check. We tell you all this, because the operating system itself has a number of somewhat hidden functions, which can be very useful to us, but at the same time we can activate or deactivate it.
What they are and where to see the optional features of Windows
By this we mean in fact a set of optional functions and features that can be activated or not depending on the needs of each. Some of them are specially designed for more advanced and professional companies and users, therefore they are not very well known by most. They are also not very visible, so we must first know where to locate them.
But, of course, at the same time, we must keep in mind that if we do not use some of them, they are only there to consume valuable disk space. Therefore, in the same lines we will talk about these feature windows. At the same time, we’ll show you how to turn them on and off in Windows. This, as you can imagine, will serve to leave only the ones we really need operationally. First, what needs to be clear is that some of them are in the System Control Panel, while others are seen in the application settings.
Manage Windows 10 functions
Therefore, as we tell you, many of these Windows features are found in the popular Operating System Control Panel. Thus, to see what we have at our disposal, we only have to access it. Once here, we go to Programs / Enable or Disable Windows features.
Below is where we will find a list containing the functions we talked about. In addition, next to each of the inputs, we will see a switch that gives us the ability to enable or disable each of them. For all these reasons, if necessary, you can consider removing or disabling some of these proposals. So we will talk in detail about the real utility of each of them, so that you can make the most appropriate decision in each case. Of course, if you want to bring them back to the system in the future, we will have to activate them again.
Utility of control panel features
- .NET Framework 3.5: Required to run applications compiled with this version.Net.
- .NET Framework 4.8: Same as previous version for version 4.8.
- Multimedia features: Enables the multimedia features of the operating system
- Work Folders Client: Used to synchronize folders in a work environment.
- Telnet Client: Add a Telnet client to connect remotely to other computers.
- TFTP Client: Allows you to send files via the File Transfer Protocol or FTP.
- SMB 1.0 File Sharing Protocol Support – Enable this protocolfile sharing over the network.
- Remote Differential Compression API Support – Enables the algorithm to compare files.
- Old components: allows the use of DirectPlay over DirectX.
- XPS Document Writer: Allows the system to work with this document format.
- Print to Microsoft PDF: Enables programs to send content to a PDF.
- Internet Explorer 11: Allows you to use the Microsoft Web browser.
- Internet Information Services: Enable the Microsoft and FTPweb page server.
- Microsoft Message Queuing: Enables the already outdated MSMO server.
- Core web hosting: allows certain programs to host their websites using the IIS kernel.
- Virtual machine platform: allows us to virtualize the operating system.
- Windows Hypervisor Platform – Enable kernel orvirtualization engine.
- WAS service: service directly related to IIS.
- Printing and Document Services – Enables the services required to work with print and fax devices.
- Simple TCPIP services: Enable network services, such as echo or during the day.
- Windows for Linux subsystem: allows you to use Linux Distributionsdirectly in Windows.
- Windows Identity Foundation: allows you to use the old.NET identifier
- Windows PowerShell 2.0: Enable the new PowerShell.
- Windows Designed File System: Allows the designed application to manage the file system, making them appear as files and directories.
- Windows TIFF IFilter: allows the indexing service included in the system.
Use optional configuration features
But as I mentioned earlier, these are not the only optional features we have Windows 10. We have another list that we can manage in the Windows Settings application. We can access it through the Win + I key combination. Next we are in the Applications section.
Here, as in the previous case, we find a number of applications that we can eliminate if we want to. That, yes, in this case, the entries are more intelligible than in the previous case, as you will see. In fact, next to each, we find the size it occupies on the disk in case we want to delete them. To do this, simply click on it and click the Uninstall button. These are the options we will find here:
- Microsoft Quick Support – start support for Windows.
- OpenSSH client: service that allows us to connect desktops remotely.
- Notepad: Windows text program.
- Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment – Enable the script in PowerShell.
- Windows Fax and Scan: Allows the integrated use of these devices in the system.
- Recording user actions: records the steps performed on the computer.
- Internet Explorer 11: allows us to delete the browser.
- Microsoft Paint: to delete the photo program from the system.
- Mathematical Recognizer: Allows you to use mathematical formulasin Windows.
- Windows Media Player: we can remove the media player.
- Windows Hello Face: Enable the biometric use of Windows Hello to access your computer.
- WordPad: allows us to remove word processor.